Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Neither my wife or myself has received our w2's yet. what do…

Customer Question
Neither my wife or...

Neither my wife or myself has received our w2's yet. what do we do

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2018
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 month ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane …

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m looking at your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

There's actually an IRS process for this ... let me pull up the regs here

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/w-2-additional-incorrect-lost-non-receipt-omitted/w-2-additional-incorrect-lost-non-receipt-omitted

...

If by the end of February, your attempts to have the Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, are unsuccessful, you can request that an IRS representative initiate a Form W-2 complaint. Call the IRS toll free at(###) ###-####or make an appointment to visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC).

• The IRS will send your employer a letter requesting that they furnish you a corrected Form W-2 within ten days. The letter advises your employer of their responsibilities to provide a correct Form W-2 and of the penalties for failure to do so.
  • The IRS will send you a letter with instructions and Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc. You can use the Form 4852 in the event that your employer doesn't provide you with the corrected Form W-2 in time to file your tax return.

...

Asl if you know the amounts (by, say, looking at check stubs) you can use the 4852 (here's a link to the form: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-4852) to report , rather than sending the W-2 itself

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS