Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am preparing to start an eCommerce retail store and am…

Customer Question
I am preparing to...

I am preparing to start an eCommerce retail store and am doing so by drop shipping all of my products from China. I am working from my home in Pennsylvania and I'm looking for a straight forward answer on how to handle sales tax and paying taxes at the end of the year.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I also have an EIN number as a sole proprietor.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/6/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

As to income tax, you will use Schedule C to report your income and expenses. The net income will flow through to your personal 1040.

You will pay income tax and self-employment (Social Security and Medicare) on your NET income.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf

As to sales tax, PA is an origin-based sales tax state. That means sales tax should be collected based on where the seller, which is you, is located.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/pennsylvania-internet-sales-tax.html

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

just to clarify. If anyone in any other state besides Pennsylvania buys something from my store I don't charge them tax? I only charge sales tax to those who live in Pennsylvania.

That's right.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.