Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Taxpayer has a gift to a child of $150,000 in 2017. I

Customer Question
Taxpayer has a gift...

Taxpayer has a gift to a child of $150,000 in 2017. I understand the annual exclusion but where on for 709 do you reduce the remaining 136,000 because of the lifetime exclusion?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Nothing else to tell

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/6/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

the lifetime exclusion is not working as "exclusion" ...

instead - we calculate tentative gift tax liability based on taxable gift amount - in your situation $136,000

and after that - we apply an unified credit - which is calculated based on the lifetime exclusion.

So - when you prepare form 709 - you will report Applicable credit amount - but not more than the tentative gift tax liability.

Questions?

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 24 days ago

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.