Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My brother in law passed and he willed me a new boat that we…

Customer Question
Hi my brother in...

Hi my brother in law passed and he willed me a new boat that we both went halfers on , plus we traded in a boat on the new boat . I have been paying on the boat . The short form hasn’t been filed yet . The new boat has a debit equal to or more than the value of the boat. My question is do I have to pay an inheritance tax plus a state tax when the boat switches over in my name

Accountant's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the boat?

Pennsylvania

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Executor of the will has no money to process for the shorts for you and I can’t get her to do it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/6/2018
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 1 month ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

From what you have stated above, I assume (please correct me if I am wrong) that the boat was only in your brothers name?

You will not pay inheritance tax for the boat.

You will have to pay registration frees and submit a sales tax form.

The costs to title and/or register your boat with the PA Fish and Boat Commission are as follows:

• Original and renewal registration for:
    • Non-motorized boats:$18.
    • Motorboats less than 16 ft: $26.
    • Motorboats 16 to 20 ft: $39.
    • Motorboat 20 ft and longer: $52.

Below is a link to the Pennsylvania Boat Registration and/or Boat title.

http://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/otherforms/Documents/rev-336.pdf

Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Are you satisfied with the Answer you received?

If you are satisfied with the Answer, please accept the Answer and rate my service. Accepting the Answer and Rating my service cost you nothing extra, but does notify JustAnswer that I have completed my assigned work.

If you have any follow up questions please don't hesitate to Ask.

You can rate me by using the stars, or faces on your screen and clicking submit

I look forward to working with you in the future and I hope you feel that I provided you with 5 Star services

Regards,

Chad CFP ® professional

Federally Licensed IRS Enrolled Agent

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®