Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I owned a property with a partner through a LLC we bought in…

Customer Question
I owned a property...

I owned a property with a partner through a LLC we bought in 2009. He and I parted ways and he ways no longer an owner in the LLC. However, he was still tied to the mortgage of the property since we both had to personally guarantee it. We also had an agreement that at any time if I sold the property and we needed cash to close out the deal we would split the amount of cash needed, which is what happened in 2017. Now I am being asked to provide a tax statement for the loss and I am not sure how I would go about doing that. Please Help.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2018
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 months ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer and can assist.

I owned a property with a partner through a LLC we bought in 2009. He and I parted ways and he ways no longer an owner in the LLC. However, he was still tied to the mortgage of the property since we both had to personally guarantee it. We also had an agreement that at any time if I sold theproperty and we needed cash to close out the deal we would split the amount of cash needed, which is what happened in 2017. Now I am being asked to provide a tax statement for the loss and I am not sure how I would go about doing that. Please Help.

A copy of the tax return showing the loss will likely do, but I'm not sure you will want to do this.

See, if you sold at a cash loss, but had depreciation recapture, this may be interpreted to mean you did not have a loss to be shared.

This sounds to me like a legal request. You did not outline receipt of the cash you believe you are entitled to, and perhaps are negotiating that now. If you sold, and received cash from your former partner, I assume there would be no need for this statement.

These seem like professional services, which we can't offer as an online information service. I can offer those services to you as a Premium Service.

I would ask to see the last tax return, your contract with your former partner, and the closing statement for the sale.

I'll post an offer for a review of your papers. My offer is for work after March 15th. Work required sooner will be more expensive.

Thanks for asking at just answer. See my offer.

Customer/p>
Isn't it a requirement to furnish all partnership tax statements by 3/15? Also I know there should be a cash loss to share but would that be a K1 even though they were not technically a partner for the entire company?

Partnership returns are due April 15th, and filing can be extended if more time is needed. And if he was the only other partner, and formally sold his interest or surrendered, the partnership should have terminated and a final 1065 prepared. Then you file the income return personally starting the next day. Your former partner is never privy to

your ownership after he left.

I thought you sold in 2017, and the cash loss known.

See my offer to assist.