Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

OMG, I've made a big mistake on my taxes that I just filed…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, OMG, I've...

Hi Pearl, OMG, I've made a big mistake on my taxes that I just filed on Friday with an aarp volunteer working out of the safe credit union on woodcrekk oaks blvd. His name is Daniel H. and I need to reschedule with him through his cell phone. Can you help me?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Well:here's the story: I claimed my son for 2017 and I can't find any receipts for that time, so now I believe it was in 2016. Also they had him down in relationship as "neice". good Lord, what a mess.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/6/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 3 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Just Answer has nothing to do with AARP volunteers.

The mistake you mentioned may not be as serious as you think.

If you think you should not have claimed your son in 2017, you will need to amend your return if it has already been efiled and ACCEPTED by the IRS to remove him as a dependent.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barb, will the AARP volunteer be able (and willing) to amend my taxes? I should be paying not getting back. Wow, I sure messed this up. Will the IRS ding me a find?
NO, no no, I'm not going to pay $52 to get an answer to this problem. I'll go directly to AARP and get help from them for FREE. Thanks anyway.

The offer of a phone call is system generated. You can ignore it.

O.K. thanks Barb, I' full of anxiety on this one, but I know they can fix it for me. Have a great day!!!

I don't know how capable the AARP volunteers are, but from the mistake made on your return, you be the judge.

The IRS will not fine you for making a mistake.

Just file an amended return as soon as possible.

Can you refund my $5 as well?
I'm going to try to see them today, it'll be difficult as they have appointments all day with "senior" citizens.

I will forward this to customer service on your behalf.

Please know that once I transfer this to customer service, the question becomes locked to me, and I can no longer respond.

Have a good day.