Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I paid a full time caregiver for my 93 yr old mother $18,000…

I paid a full...

I paid a full time caregiver for my 93 yr old mother $18,000 in 2017 to care for my mother. what is the proper way of deducting this on my taxes? Should this be reported as medical expenses or dependent care expenses? I make approx. 95,000 a year.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Should I issue the caregiver a 1099? I did not withhold taxes from the $18,000.

3/6/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The caregiver expenses can be deducted as a medical expenses on your tax return.

If the caregiver works for an agency, then the agency submits the 1099 to their contract labor or a W-2 for employees.

If you pay the caregiver directly, then they should be considered contract labor & any money paid over $600 per year should have a 1099 issued by January 31 of the following year. $600 is the threshold for 1099's, under $600, no 1099.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

When I issue the 1099 do I use my social security number as the Employer ID number?

That's right.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!