Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I worked for private companies early in my career but then…

I worked for private...

I worked for private companies early in my career but then ended in Federal Government. I have a medical retirement from the gvmt and I am 72 years old. I only get $189.00 a month in social security. Could that be correct? Is there a min amount to get?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I think this is all

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2018
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi. Great Question.

The minimum social security and government retirement amounts together should be at least $14,310 per year.

I would definitely call Social Security or go over to their office to see how they are calculating your benefit - they may have a higher amount for your government retirement than you are actually receiving.

Let me know if you would like their contact # and office locator link.

Thank you.

Let me know if this helps and if you have any questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

I guess I was not clear on my question, to tell you the truth I did not think I would ever get an answer. Let me correct my question. I get a monthly disability check from the US Gvmt of $1638.00 a year and I only get $189.00 from social security. My SS check has medicare payment taken out. So , if you get a government retirement even disability do you get a small amount for social security?? I hope I make this more clear that previously. Thanks Pam

Hi, Pam. Yes - thank you.

The disability benefit can affect the social security. Here is a document, concerning the reduction - https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10018.pdf and some contact information to get more details on the $189 payment.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I sent a more up to date information on my question re: my social security but I don't show that it was sent correctly so I will try one more time. I receive a monthly retirement disability check from US Government which is $16300.00 and $189.00 check from Social Security which medicare payment has been taken out. If I worked fror a private company and got the $16,308.00 a year disability retirement would I have gotten more in Social Security? Does it look like I am getting the correct amount of social security now? Thanks

Hi. Great Question. They would have not affected it.

Yes - you would have probably gotten more.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I clicked on a suggested publication EN5. According to the site this does not exist. Please help but do not call

Hi. I will look at it and definitely get back to you later today.

ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group