Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I used TT and filed my 2016 return electronically and

requested an installment agreement....
I used TT and filed my 2016 return electronically and requested an installment agreement. Both the IRS and the state of Utah have not received my return I contacted TT and was told my returns were efiled on 3-13-2016.
I am getting ready to do my 2017 taxes and want to know what went wrong and how to prevent this from happening again. Don't know what the penalty and interest will be, but I think I'm pissed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2018
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

E-filed only means that TT sent your return electronically to the IRS. It does not mean your return was accepted. You may have been notified by TT by e-mail and your e-mailed ended up in your spam folder. It happened to many people before.

Are you getting a refund or do you owe this year?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There has been nothing in spam. There was no reason that the return would not be accepted by one or both the State and the IRS. Don't understand why there would not be some type of flag from one of them. I will owe this year. Should I file both years together with a letter of explanation?

Thank you for your bad rating in advance. Thousands and people had the same issue last year and the year before.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you since the first expert opted out.

When you efile tax returns through TurboTax, you receive two emails as to federal and two emails as to state after you transmit them. The first email tells you that your return was TRANSMITTED successfully. The second email tells you that your return was ACCEPTED or REJECTED.

If you spoke to a representative at TurboTax and you were told that your returns were efiled on 3-13-16, then your returns were transmitted and supposedly accepted by the IRS and state. The TT representative would have been able to tell you if your returns were rejected because it shows up in their system as being accepted or rejected. If they were not rejected, there was either a glitch in their system or with the IRS, and both will blame the other for the glitch.

The IRS and/or the state will not let you know that they did not receive your tax return.

Efile your 2017 tax return. You cannot efile for 2016. You will have to mail the returns to the IRS and state. Once they have processed your 2016 return, they will send you a letter letting you know how much you owe. You can then call and request a payment plan. You will want to wait until both years have been processed so you can include both years on the payment plan.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. I appreciate it.

If you need any additional help with this as you go along, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent