Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband and I only have an income from SS. Do we have to…

My husband and I...

My husband and I only have an income from SS. Do we have to file?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Nothing more. Just these two incomes

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/5/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If your ONLY INCOME is from Social Security, you do not have to file a tax return.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do we need to fill out any kind of paper work??

No. No paperwork is required.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t want the IRS at my front door, so I need to be positive that we don’t need to file and not fill out any paper work.

As I mentioned, if your ONLY INCOME is Social Security, you do not have to file a tax return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What if we have a savings account?

How much interest does it earn?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You couldn’t buy a donut for what it earns.

That's what I figured.

You don't have to file a tax return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks. You’ve been a big help. H&R charges $180.00. Then we don’t get anything back.?? They never told us we didn’t have to file. Nothing like screwing the old people. Sorry. Have a nice evening. Again thank you.

If you do not have federal taxes withheld from your Social Security, there is no need to file a tax return.

No comment from me about Block.

Have a great weekend!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One more question. Is state the same? We don’t pay state tax. From our SS either.

What state are you in?

Most states don't tax SS.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Colorado

In Colorado, taxpayers 55-64 years old can exclude a total of $20,000 for Social Security and qualified retirement income and those 65 and over can exclude up to $24,000 of Social Security benefits and qualified retirement income.

If you receive $24,000 or more in SS, you have to file a Colorado state return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I do that???

Here's the form:

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/104Formonly.pdf

Just fill it out and mail it in.

Or let Block do it, but they are going to prepare the federal return as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. Where can I get a form? I don’t have a printer.

Call the State of Colorado Dept. of Revenue

303-238-SERV (7378)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. You deserve a raise.

It's been my pleasure.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent