Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I filed my taxes online. With a significant amount of

I filed my taxes...

I filed my taxes online. With a significant amount of medical debt last year, I tried to file long form. I didn't have enough expenses, so my filing is just the standard deductions. Today I received a letter from the state wanting copies of my federal return with all documentation. When I printed it, I was surprised to see all of the information I originally entered...not just the standard deductions that I filed. The problem is, after learning I could not use those deductions, I threw out the documentation. Am I in trouble?

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

Indiana. No.

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

My federal and state returns have been filed and accepted electronically. The federal return is pending payment on Wednesday.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of/

3/5/2018
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

If you prepared a Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, and listed your medical expenses, your software saved that form. But on your form 1040, line 40, your program will have entered the deduction that was larger, either itemized or standard. Even though your program saved your Schedule A, you probably did not file it or claim any of the deductions on it. You are not required to provide any documentation of any expenses that you did not claim.

Also, in the world of tax, it isn't always "documentation" that's required. It's "substantiation." For example, if you claimed medical expenses but do not have any receipts or records, you may have records from your health insurance carrier showing that they paid the bills. That would substantiate your claim that you received medical treatment.

On the notice you received from the state of Indiana, if there is contact information with a name, phone number, or department, you can call them. First, I would just send them a copy of your federal tax return. States don't always require a copy of the federal return if you are claiming the standard deduction and you have no other forms included with your 1040. After you send them your 1040, give them a week or so and call them.

Now I will speculate. If you did something wrong and claimed the lesser itemized deductions, by not having "documentation" the result would be that those deductions would be disallowed; however, you could amend your return and claim the standard deduction and you'd be ahead. But again, I think you'd have to talk to the state people sooner rather than later once you figure out what happened with your federal return.

Hope that helped. If so, please don't forget to rate this answer. You can always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge. Thank you for using Just Answer.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney