Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son is claiming himself on his tax return this year; can…

My son is claiming...

My son is claiming himself on his tax return this year; can he claim college tuition on his return?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

The past two years we claimed our son as a dependent on our return; however, we were unable to claim his tuition because of the tax bracket we fell in. This year we are not claiming him and wanted to see if he can claim tuition on his return since we cannot.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

He will also be claiming a distribution from his 529 account on his return. Form 1099-Q

3/5/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you are not claiming your son as a dependent, he can claim the tuition on his tax return.

The following link contains excellent information you will find helpful:

https://budgeting.thenest.com/can-claim-sons-education-expenses-not-dependent-21456.html

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!