Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Why is my Federal refund only $600 now that I'm married

Why is my Federal...

Why is my Federal refund only $600 now that I'm married filing single, when my return was about $5000 when I was single

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Why the change is amounts because I'm now married? Nothing else has changed tax wise.

3/4/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

There is no "married filing single" filing status. Did you file married filing jointly or married filing separately?

married filing separately

Married filing separate is the LEAST ADVANTAGEOUS filing status.

When you file separately, your tax rate is higher and you won't be able to claim:

Got it. Thank you Barbara

My pleasure.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Please take a moment to rate my answer with a 5-star rating to let me know that I have achieved my goal.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!