Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have an issue that I need answered. My friend is

undocumented in the country and...
I have an issue that I need answered. My friend is undocumented in the country and has a tax ID instead of a social security card. Should he be paying taxes or is it irrelevant?
3/2/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out.

Yes, he should be paying taxes. If he was physically in the US for:

1. 31 days during the current year, and
  2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
    • All the days you were present in the current year, and
    • 1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
    • 1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.

He is considered a resident alien and will pay taxes on his worldwide income.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Thank you

No problem. If you need anything just let me know. If not, please leave a rating so I get credit for helping you out. Thanks!

Carter McBride