Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If you work in the Outer Continental Shelf (Federal Waters)

are you subject to State...
If you work in the Outer Continental Shelf (Federal Waters) are you subject to State income tax. In the past the State requested the block information from the employer (where the oil rig or vessel worked throughout the year) which was submitted and the money was refunded. Now they want to play games? Can someone please advise?
2/23/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Please see here

https://www.boem.gov/Outer-Continental-Shelf/

State jurisdiction is defined as follows:

• Texas and the Gulf coast of Florida are extended 3 marine leagues (9 nautical miles) seaward from the baseline from which the breadth of the territorial sea is measured.
  • Louisiana is extended 3 U.S. nautical miles (U.S. nautical mile = 6080.2 feet) seaward of the baseline from which the breadth of the territorial sea is measured.
  • All other States' seaward limits are extended 3 International Nautical Miles (International Nautical Miles = 6076.10333 feet) seaward of the baseline from which the breadth of the territorial sea is measured.

Let me know with which state do you have issues?

Louisiana! We have been through this in the past provided the information requested and they refunded us now they are telling us we owe because the employer does not withhold state tax because it's a Texas based business. It's the same company from before my husband has worked with the same company over 11 years. We get a different response every time we contact the LDR.
The Outer Continental Shelf is a Federal law correct? Wouldn't this override the state laws anyway?

Yes - that is a federal law - and that law doesn't override the state law

- but that law determines the state jurisdiction - specifically - that law sets the limit where the state law may not be applied.

Any ideas or help as to what we can do?

Unfortunately - that is very common for Louisiana....

They are aggressive in such situations.

You have to be patient - just keep responding repeatedly and provide same arguments again and again.

I understand that is frustrating - but I do not see any way around.

Sorry for your situation.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor