Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am filing taxes for my college student. She had part time…

Hello, I am filing...

Hello, I am filing taxes for my college student. She had part time jobs that added up to 3,860.. taxes etc., were taken for these jobs.. she also had an unpaid co-op, for which she was given a 2,000 stipend and a 1099 MISC , does she have to pay taxes on this (even though her combined income from all 3 jobs was less than the personal exemption)

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

She is a full time student and all monies were used to buy books, transportation and food.

2/18/2018
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

HI. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Can you be more specific about the unpaid co-op? Generally, anything reported on 1099Misc is taxable income. In which box is the co-op reported?

she goes to Drexel.. This year she worked at the Temple Science center to fulfill co-op requirements. after the co-op session was complete, she received a 1099 -misc for $2,000.... a stipend I guess its called. . it is reported in Box 3
her total income including this stipend is 5,860 3,860 of which taxes were paid, and 2,000 for the co-op. it seems under the personal exemption?

Ok. It is other income not subject to self-employment tax. Filing requirements for dependents is the amount of the standard deduction, not the exemption. Dependents cannot claim their own exemptions. If her total income is below 6350 she does not need to file. But if she had withholding, the only way to get it back would be to file a tax return.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Depending on how much was withheld she may want to file anyway to get a refund. She does not owe any taxes.

if we decide to file to get her withholding back, how do I claim this 2,000... just as other income? will this lower her withholding as no taxes were with held on this 2,000?

She will not owe any taxes because all of the earnings will be offset by the standard deduction. Her taxable income will be zero as well her tax. She will get back all of her withholding. Report the 2K on line 21 as other income not subject to self-employment tax.

Thanks You!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They charged me the 5 dollars that I was expecting for this advice... then they added 38 dollars more????
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I really feel ripped off
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just took that cash from my credit card.. It is almost more than what she would have gotten as a refund.. highway robbery
emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser