Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I received a letter from a specific collection group stating…

I received a letter...

I received a letter from a specific collection group stating that I owed state taxes from Mississippi in 2001. I was told by the Mississippi Department of Revenue that they had been trying to get in contact with until 2007 with no answer. I was active in the military at this time, stationed in Germany at that time I have no idea of any state taxes from Mississippi that year, Mississippi was my home of record at that time.However, i am not a resident of Mississippi, I rejoined the military in that state thus making it my home of record. What are the options I have I haven't been able to speak to anyone at the IRS to find out if this is valid, I was under the impression that the IRS would be it State or Federal would have gotten any money owed to them before allowing this to go 17 yrs.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't have any copies of my 2001 tax return.

2/17/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The IRS has nothing to do with the State of Mississippi.

If you enter the armed forces when you are a Mississippi resident, you do not lose your Mississippi residency status, even if you are absent from this state on military orders. You are subject to the same residency requirements as any other Mississippi resident and are required to file a Mississippi income tax return.

For 2001, you should have filed a Mississippi state return as well as your federal return with the IRS.

My best advice is to contact the Mississippi Department of Revenue ​​(601)(###) ###-####between 8am-5pm​, Monday through Friday.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

I have spoken to the Mississippi Department of Revenue. My issue is not the state of residency for Mississippi retaining that, but I was told I filed in 2001 and I was told I had a amount I owed of $448.00 which has in turn over time due to interest ballooned to $1755.28 in 2018. Yet if this is so why weren't they able to ever contact me I have a Social Security Number. I didn't disclose this I have moved several times since 2001 to Georgia, Texas, Germany, Kentucty and now Tennesee. I am originally from Missouri but spent most of my childhood in Michigan until I initially went in the military. Why wasn't this if it is valid not taken care of through a garnishment or something this is very unprofessional on there part after all this time.

I cannot explain how/why this was handled in such an unprofessional manner by Mississippi.

Because you moved many times, that is most likely the reason why you did not receive proper notification, and no garnishment/levy was put in place.

Will the Mississippi Department of Revenue agree to abatement of some/all of the penalty and interest due to reasonable cause?

Not sure the representative said they would try to see if they could possibly do that. I wanted copies of my return for that year, yet they wanted me to send them a change of address in the mail. They would not take my address over the phone to send those documents to me

Mail them your change of address so they can forward a copy of your return to you.

Once you have the copy, you will be in a better position to request an abatement.

That's what I'll do

Great.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need any help once you receive a copy of your return.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great weekend!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent