Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Have a question on capital gain on real estate. What is the…

Have a question on...

Have a question on capital gain on real estate. What is the cost of this service?

Accountant's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Accountant. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

So, how much, generally, is the cost of the answer from the accountant?

Accountant's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Accountant's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Can I pay the $5, then get an estimate of the cost for an answer after I have submitted question?

Accountant's Assistant: You end up paying for the answer if you are satisfied with it.

OK, I'll try it. I have used Just Answer for a couple automotive questions in the past.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Do I ask the question now?

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/16/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA. What's your question.

I sold real estate on contract (carrying contract) in 2017, term 3 years. When fully paid there will be a capital gain but I only received down payment and several months payments in 2017. What part of this is capital gain for 2017? Of course, full gain will not be realized for a couple more years. I normally do my own taxes. What forms do I fill out to go with 1040?
Just reply this way will be fine.

This is considered an installment sale. You'll need to fill out Form 6252 to calculate how much of the gain will be record in 2017. That form is here:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f6252.pdf

It''s pretty easy. You'll only need to worry about Parts 1 and 2.

Ok, so I would only be paying taxes on amounts received in 2017.

Yes, and only on a portion. The gain is basically allocated based on how much you receive each year.

OK, I'll go with that. So my total charge today is $46?

You'd have to check with customer service, I can refer you if you'd like.

If you don't need anything else from me, please leave a rating so I get credit with helping you out. Thanks!

Carter McBride
refer me to customer service. I'll do rating now.