Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Last year i converted a general partnership to an LLC. What…

Last year i converted a...
Last year i converted a general partnership to an LLC. What documents do I file with the state and or federal government to show this conversion?
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/13/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You will not be required to obtain a new EIN if

-- An existing partnership converts to an LLC classified as a partnership.

See here

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/do-you-need-a-new-ein

So for federal tax purposes that will be the SAME partnership and you will use the same EIN.

You will continue to file form 1065 as before - but if the LLC's name is ***** ***** you will us ea new name on form 1065

AND

mark the appropriate name change box on the form: Page 1, Line G, Box 3.

.

Similarly - when you file for California - you will use the same partnership tax return form - with new name - and Check the box in the header that name changed.

No other forms or documents are required.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor