How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 31897
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Last year i converted a general partnership to an LLC. What

This answer was rated:

Last year i converted a general partnership to an LLC. What documents do I file with the state and or federal government to show this conversion?

You will not be required to obtain a new EIN if

-- An existing partnership converts to an LLC classified as a partnership.

See here

So for federal tax purposes that will be the SAME partnership and you will use the same EIN.

You will continue to file form 1065 as before - but if the LLC's name is ***** ***** you will us ea new name on form 1065


mark the appropriate name change box on the form: Page 1, Line G, Box 3.


Similarly - when you file for California - you will use the same partnership tax return form - with new name - and Check the box in the header that name changed.

No other forms or documents are required.

Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you