Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Rental house...contract pending 1/1/2017 and flood damage…

Customer Question
Rental house...contract pending 1/1/2017...

Rental house...contract pending 1/1/2017 and flood damage before renter move in. Do I separate the expenses and put towards a loss of property or can I run all year expenses together as renter move in four months later after damage repaired?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Was setup to be a rental house for 2017 entire year

Submitted: 17 days ago.Category: Tax
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I was sent an answer through my phone and was unable to open and now it is not showing on my phone. Please respond to me he answer via email
2/6/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 17 days ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Your rental activity starts when the property was originally placed in service - regardless if the tenant already moved in or not.

Starting that date - you will start depreciating the property and start deducting all on-going expenses - utilities, maintenance, etc

Corresponding - any additional repairs may be deducted as rental expenses.

Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 16 days ago

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor