Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Got a question claiming child on taxes. When my child was 9…

Customer Question
Got a question claiming...

Got a question claiming child on taxes

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

When my child was 9 months old i had 30% custody. But once he started kindergarten, my ex and i verbally agreed to shared 50/50. he's 9 years old now. and i always have claimed him because i pay child support and medical insurance. but the last 2 years she has claimed him. and this year as well.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Which i have discuss to her not to, but she kees doing it. so who has the right to claim the child on tax returns?

Submitted: 11 days ago.Category: Tax
2/6/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 11 days ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Generally, the custodial parent claims the child as a dependent.

The noncustodial parent may claim the dependent if he or she provided half of the child’s support.

The noncustodial parent may also claim the dependent if a divorce or separation decree or a written declaration from the custodial parent says the noncustodial parent can claim the dependent.

If no divorce or separation decree states that the noncustodial parent may claim the exemption or there is no written declaration from the custodial parent, tiebreaker rules are in effect.

• The parent who the child spends the most time with may claim the dependent.
  • If the child spends equal time between both parents, then the parent with the highest adjusted gross income may claim the dependent.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent