Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My divorce was finalized in November 2017 here in

Customer Question
Hi my divorce was...

Hi my divorce was finalized in November 2017 here in California. Do I have to claim the spousal support payments that I received before my agreement was signed as income on my Federal taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What would you like to know?

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Tax
2/6/2018
Tax Professional: Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 19 days ago
Fred Rook
Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can assist you. The payments do not get reported until the final agreement is signed. Temporary support payments made by an individual before a finalized agreement does not quality as alinony/spousal support. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions for me.

Regards,

Fred

Hello. Just wanted to check in and see if you had any follow up questions for me. If finished, please take some time to rate my service. Thanks!

Fred Rook
Fred Rook