Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My ex husband have been separated for almost 3 years and…

Customer Question
My ex husband have...

My ex husband have been separated for almost 3 years and divorce for a years still own a house in Fontana CA. I've made all the house payments for all those years. He keeps asking me for 1/3 the mortgage taxes. is he entitle to do this ? help

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Not at his time

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
2/6/2018
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 4 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer!

My name is***** will assist you today.

From what you have stated, no your ex husband would not be able to deduct the property tax since you are paying the tax.

___

Please see below an excerpt and link from IRS.Gov -Topic Number 503 - Deductible Taxes

"To be deductible, the tax must be imposed on you, and you must have paid it during your tax year. "

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc503

You can only deduct home mortgage interest if all the following conditions are met.

A qualified home is:

Main home.

You can have only one main home at any one time. This is the home where you ordinarily live most of the time.

Second home.

A second home is a home that you choose to treat as your second home.

​​

If you have any additional questions please let me know!

My goal is to ensure you receive 100% satisfaction.

_____

At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to rate and accept my answer by clicking on three stars or more.

A positive rating of 5 stars is always appreciated.

Thank you!

If you have no further questions please take a moment to accept the answer.

Thank you!

If you have any additional questions please let me know.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please take a moment to accept the answer by clicking on three stars or more, this will notify JustAnswer that your question has been completed. Thank you!