Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a US Citizen, living in Germany since 2009. I am

I am a US...

I am a US Citizen, living in Germany since 2009. I am self-employed and have filed a US federal tay return each year.
I have not filed state returns (previous resident of Tennessee.)
Now I am doing business with a client in Hawaii and wonder about the GET (General Excise Taxes). I have never been to Hawaii. Do I have to pay GE Tax as an international freelancer?

1/30/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Are you performing the freelance service in Germany? Do you have a place of business in Hawaii?

I have never been to Hawaii. I am a graphic designer working from Germany. The contact with the client is only online.

Then you are not registered to do business in Hawaii and have no obligation to do so. You also have no obligation for GET.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
thank you

My pleasure.

Thank YOU for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great week!