Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a UK national that worked my whole life in USA. I am a…

Hello, I am a UK...
Hello, I am a UK national that worked my whole life in USA. I am a naturalized US citizen. I'm exploring an opportunity from my current employer (hospital) to take a position in their new London hospital location. Is it better to work under the US tax code or the UK. I am 64, but plan to work until age 70.
I need to get a new red passport. Although I hear it's going back to blue. Also I'm Scottish, not English.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/19/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

As a US citizen, you are required to report and pay tax on your worldwide income.

As a UK resident living and working in the UK, you will report and pay tax on the income earned in the UK.

The US offers the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion for US citizens who work abroad. The Foreign Earned Income Exclusion amount for 2018 is $104,100.

The following link contains excellent information regarding the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

what benefits am I entitled to as a UK citizen, paying taxes. I don't think I'd need health insurance.

The UK National Health Service provides all UK residents with free healthcare and treatment.

I'd have health coverage from my employer. Would I be able to pay into the UK retirement program?

To get the full basic State Pension you need a total of 30 qualifying years of National Insurance contributions or credits. This means you were either:

If you have fewer than 30 qualifying years, your basic State Pension will be less than £122.30 per week but you might be able to top up by paying voluntary National Insurance contributions.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of your week!