Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

A well established dentist is selling his practice assets.

He is a P.C. (not...
A well established dentist is selling his practice assets. He is a P.C. (not an S Corp). His fixed assets are fully depreciated. 400,000 of the 800,000 selling price will be sold by him personally as personal goodwill and will be subject to the long-term capital gains rate. The remaining assets are the fully depreciated fixed assets, his patient list & a restrictive covenant he will be giving the buyers. Since the fixed assets are fully depreciated, for tax purposes, does it make a difference how the 400,000 to be allocated to the patient list, fixed assets & restrictive covenant is allocated?
1/19/2018
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

It does matter. The covenant might be a two or three year agreement, which means income allocated to it is spread over that period to the dentist.

The self generated customer list is ordinary income on sale to the corporation, and the depreciation recapture ordinary income in year of sale to the corporation as well.

Overall, ordinary income to your seller over time and his corporation in year of sale.

Then there's gain or loss on liquidation of the old practice PC.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

the personal goodwill would be recorded on Schedule D of his Form 1040?

Personal goodwill is an asset of the shareholder, sold on schedule D.

PDtax

PDtax