Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a federal tax lien filed in 2015. The date of

assessment is 2008 and other...
I have a federal tax lien filed in 2015. The date of assessment is 2008 and other is 2009. I have read that each will be zeroed after 10 years and lien satisfied. Will IRS satisfy both in 2018 or wait until 2019 or satisfy each individually?
The tax lien is for 2 separate years of tax returns not filed.
1/16/2018
Fred Rook
Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you. Yes, the IRS has 10 years to collect the tax deficiency. Before the end of the 10 year period, the IRS can take the taxpayer to federal court and obtain a judgement for the unpaid taxes. It is possible, although rare, for the IRS to record the judgement effectively as a new tax lien for successive 10-year periods. Each lien is a separate entity, so the liens will expire in 2018 and 2019, consecutively. Please let me know if this addresses your question.

Regards,

Fred

There is one lien filed for 2 tax periods. not 2 separate lien forms. so will the 2018 release happen and then 2019?
what are the circumstances that irs would take the taxpayer to federal court and obtain a judgement
if irs got a judgement, what affect will bankruptcy have on that judgement?

Ah, didn't realize one lien filed. 10 years from the date lien is filed so the two periods will expire together.

Generally my understanding is that while the IRS can convert your tax debt into a civil judgment by suing you, this is rare and usually only happens if a taxpayer intentionally hostile or uncooperative with the IRS.

Regarding bankruptcy, you can discharge tax debts only if ALL of the following is true...

1) The taxes are income taxes

2) No fraud or willful evasion

3) The debt is at least three years old

4) A tax return has been filed

5) 240 day rule - The income tax debt must have been assessed by the IRS at least 240 days before you file your bankruptcy petition.

one was assessed in 2008 and one in 2009
are you saying lien wont expire until 2025
here is the info

Date of assessment, so one will expire 7/2018, and the other will expire 3/2019

what did you mean when you said, "10 years from the date lien is filed."

The liens were filed on 7/2008 and 3/2009 per the attachment you sent.

the lien was file 2015, assessed 2008 and 2009 respectively

Everything I have understood and read says the date of assessment. The CSED (Collection Statute Expiration Date) starts with the assessment.

Fred Rook
Thank you

My pleasure. Good luck!

Fred Rook
Fred Rook