Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have recently formed an LLC with the state of Tx. "Bright…

Customer Question
I have recently formed...

I have recently formed an LLC with the state of Tx. "Bright Guys, LLC". When I went to IRS.gov to request and EIN number, it instructed me not to use a comma or Put LLC at the end. So when I got my EIN, it was just under the company name "Bright Guys". Is this ok?

Accountant's Assistant: Can you tell me what state the LLC is registered in?

Texas

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, It's brand new, so I haven't filed any taxes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
1/14/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

As you might know - LLC are created under state laws and regulations.

Thus because state laws are different - the LLC registered in Texas is not the same as for instance the LLC registered in California.

Correspondingly state laws vary on naming requirements of LLCs - nevertheless - there are several common rules.

Specifically - states require that the name of your business entity will indicate that it is an LLC - and that is why "LLC" abbreviation is included into your registration.

For IRS registration purposes - that is not needed because you indicated on your SS4 application that is LLC - so you are OK.

No issues.

Let me know if you need help with tax reporting.