Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Does the new (in effect 01-01-2018) standard deduction for…

Does the new (in...

Does the new (in effect 01-01-2018) standard deduction for couples of $24,000. apply to 2017 tax prep?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Does the new (in effect 01-01-2018) standard deduction for a couple filing jointly ($24,000) go into effect now as I file for 2017?

1/13/2018
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

The new tax law will apply to 2018 tax returns that will be filed next year. The tax reform does not affect 2017 at all. The standard deductions for couple is 12,700, plus you can still deduct your exemptions, 4050 for each of you.

Any questions?

And next year you will get 24K standard deductions but you will lose your exemptions, so technically, the net increase is only about 4K, assuming you do not have any other dependents.

thanks. That helped lots.

You're welcome.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser