Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Please let me know what is the standard deduction on the…

Hi. Please let me know...
Hi. Please let me know what is the standard deduction on the 1040 form for 2017 for a single person with no dependents. This is for a friend. This is in California. Thank you.
1/12/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Hi. My name’s Lane.

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Hi. My name’s Lane.

Bear with me just a moment .I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments. Then, let me know if you have further questions on this.

The act increased the standard deduction through 2025 for individual taxpayers to $24,000 for married taxpayers filing jointly, $18,000 for heads of household, and $12,000 for all other individuals. The additional standard deduction for elderly and blind taxpayers was not changed by the act.

...

SO for a single filer, 12,000.

...

Thanks,

Lane

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok good. So this applies to 2017 also? Thanks.

No, the standard deduction or 2017 for a single filer is 6350

Sorry mis-read the question (LOTS of questions about the tax law change)

...

For 2017, single filer is 6350

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks. Will rate now.

Thanks much!

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS