Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I've made 21 trips to our local Habitat for Humanity Center…

I've made 21 trips...

I've made 21 trips to our local Habitat for Humanity Center with each trip consisting of from 10 to 30 items/donation. Do I have to list each item's original purchase date, and FMV on 8283. The total of all donation trips/items is over $7,000 and would like to simplify my paperwork.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not to my knowledge.

1/12/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

While you can consolidate the like items you want to be specific about any one item that is expensive. The more information you include the better because you are claiming over $5000.

I understand your wanting to simplify but try to make sure you are complete in the listings.

Can I "attach" additional itemized type written sheets showing each trip with dates and all items donated on that specific trip, or do I need to put everything on 8283 forms?

You still need to list everything on the 8283 but you can list like items as one entry. The statement then could list the like items. If you donated furniture on numerous occasions, that could be consolidated as one entry then your statement could list each item.

OK, Thanks. Have a nice weekend.

You are most welcome.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4