Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My daughter had a child last year and her and the babies…

Customer Question
My daughter had a...

My daughter had a child last year and her and the babies father are not together . She asked to file this year and claim him since he doesn't pay child support and he makes 70 grand and she only makes around 18k he told her that by law he has to file this year because he makes more money and they have 50/50 custody . I'm wanting to see if this is true ?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

That's it I believe

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/9/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 6 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. Prepping my response, be with you shortly.

Ok we live in NC

In brief, when parents have 50/50 custody of the child, the parent with the highest AGI is usually the parent that can claim the child as a dependent. However, if the baby's father wanted to, he could allow the mother to claim the child. It is not mandatory that he claim the child. Still writing...

Tie-Breaker Rules

Under the tie-breaker rule, the child is treated as a qualifying child only by:

• The parents if they file a joint return;
  • The parent, if only one of the persons is the child's parent;
  • The parent with whom the child lived the longest during the tax year, if two of the persons are the child's parent and they do not file a joint return together.
  • The parent with the highest AGI if the child lived with each parent for the same amount of time during the tax year, and they do not file a joint return together;
  • The person with the highest AGI if no parent can claim the child as a qualifying child; or
  • A person with the higher AGI than any parent who can also claim the child as a qualifying child but does not.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/qualifying-child-of-more-than-one-person

---------------------------------------

There is nothing special that the father has to do in order to let the mother claim the child.

---------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.