Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Pearl Yes, I have a question I am a Canadian citizen and…

Customer Question
Hi, Pearl Yes, I...

Hi, Pearl Yes, I have a question I am a Canadian citizen and resident I operate 99% of my business online in the USA of that 99%, 90% of my sales come from Amazon.com

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

I said,
I am a Canadian citizen and resident LOL

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

Nothing has been officially filed Our C corporation was created in Delaware January 1st

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Our office space is in California. However, we don't sell or stock any inventory from our office location

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
1/9/2018
Tax Professional: Expert_James,
 replied 3 months ago
Expert_James

So what are your questions?

My question is, if I am using my business address in California, but I don't sell or hold any inventory through or from that address, do I need to pay taxes to California. If that makes sense? I'm a Canadian citizen and resident.
I sell physical products only. Made and sold in the USA. Predominant sales on Amazon.com
But obviously, don't want my personal home address in Canada on the labels. Canada is where my businss corp is registered.
Tax Professional: Expert_James,
 replied 3 months ago

OK, this is a tax issue. i'm going to release this question for someone else to assist you.

Do you know much about the legalities of business adresses being printed on labels?
Before I accept a call, do you mind if I know your areas of expertise?
the difference between USA and Canadian Corporations?
Thanks, James!
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 3 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Because you have a physical presence in CA (an office), you are required to register as a foreign corporation doing business in CA.

CA implemented a new law regarding corporations paying tax to CA:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/businesses/Doing-Business-in-California.shtml

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/businesses/Structures/C-Corporation.shtml

http://www.procopio.com/uploads/model/Block/4536/pdf/94/basic-issues-for-foreign-corporations-doing-business-in-california-855.pdf

https://eminutes.com/when-do-i-need-to-qualify-my-company-to-do-business-in-california

You may also have a sales tax obligation.

https://www.taxjar.com/states/california-sales-tax-online/

Once you have reviewed the information I have provided, please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Thanks, Barb! I'm reviewing it.

My pleasure.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent