Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My client closed their business in 2017. The balance sheet…

Customer Question
My client closed their...

My client closed their business in 2017. The balance sheet has a due to shareholder #1 of $2000. It also has a due from shareholder #2 of $8500. Distributions of $5125.00 each were taken by each shareholder. There is $1000 common stock on the books. AAA at the beginning of the year is $9103. I'm not quite sure how to close out this company without negative AAA.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
1/9/2018
Tax Professional: Mark D, Enrolled Agent replied 3 months ago
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent

Hello, are the shareholders 50/50? Any other assets or liabilities left?

Hi, yes, the shareholders are 50/50 (ex-spouses so that's why the due to/due from accounts are so whacky). No more assets or liabilities

Thanks. Was the remaining cash $10250?

The took it out early in the year

I assume they didn't consult you :)

The balance sheet seems off balance. What is Retained Earnings before the distribution?

Nope - not at all. I just found out I have to get on a conference call. May I reach out to you again tomorrow? Not sure when - may be tomorrow evening before I can get back to this client.
I have to pull some financials from them to figure out what they did to Retained Earnings.

Sure, you can request to do a phone call if you like. May work better

I'll let you know about the phone call - thanks for your patience!

No problem, just respond here when ready

Hi Mark, I was actually able to work through this myself but I'll be sure to contact you if I need any help on anything else! Have a great day!

No problem!

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney