Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I bought meals for myself and my assistant while out of town…

Customer Question
I bought meals for...

I bought meals for myself and my assistant while out of town on business can i claim the standard per diem rate doubled

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am an insurance adjuster and was in houston for six weeks and supported myself and another during that time

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
1/9/2018
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 5 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer!

My name is***** will assist you today.

The deduction for meals is based on your actual cost and then your limit is 50% of that expense

OR

The Standard Meal Allowance. - you will use the standard meal allowance if you do not have record of your expenses.

___

Regardless of the method you use, you generally can deduct only 50% of the unreimbursed cost of your meals.

___

Amount of standard meal allowance.

The standard meal allowance is the federal M&IE rate. For travel in 2017, the rate for most small localities in the United States is $51 a day. - In Houston the rate for 2017 was $93 for each person.

https://www.gsa.gov/travel/plan-book/per-diem-rates/per-diem-rates-lookup/?action=perdiems_report&state=TX&fiscal_year=2018&zip=&city=houston

___

If this was your only question and you are satisfied with the answer please accept the answer.

If you have any additional questions at all please let me know!

My goal is to ensure you receive 100% satisfaction.

_____

At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to rate and accept my answer by clicking on three stars or more.

A positive rating of 5 stars is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Are you satisfied with the Answer you received?

If you are satisfied with the Answer, please accept the Answer and rate my service. Accepting the Answer and Rating my service cost you nothing extra, but does notify JustAnswer that I have completed my assigned work.

If you have any follow up questions please don't hesitate to Ask.

You can rate me by using the stars, or faces on your screen and clicking submit

I look forward to working with you in the future and I hope you feel that I provided you with 5 Star services

Regards,

Chad CFP ® professional

Federally Licensed IRS Enrolled Agent