Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How should I fill out my W4 and IT-2104, married with 2

Customer Question
HI, how should I...

HI, how should I fill out my W4 and IT-2104, married with 2 kids, live in Brooklyn, we make $300k combined

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We prefer to pay less taxes and have more taken out per paycheck, I make more than my husband

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Nope don't think so

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
1/8/2018
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to JustAnwer!

My name is***** will assist you today.

To complete the W4 being married with two kids you would enter the following

Line A - 1 for yourself

Line B - 1 for being married

Line C - 1 Since your spouse works

Line D - 2 for dependents

Line E - 0

Line F - If you have child or dependent car expenses enter 1, if not enter 0

Line G - Do you claim the child tax credit? if not enter 0

Line H = 5 but may be 7 if depending on your answers to F and G

You will then place the final total on line 5 and sign. If you wish to withhold more then you may place the extra amount on line 6.

For the NY withholdings you have to complete the worksheet on page three of the link below to the "Employees Withholding Allowance certificate."

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it2104_fill_in.pdf

Please review the work sheet. If you have questions about the work sheet please let me know.

Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** I have a different answer.

Because you mentioned that you want MORE taken out of your paycheck, you would claim LESS exemptions not MORE.

For W-2, married 0 or married withhold at single rate.

For IT-2104, the same.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Confused. So ultimately just claim 0 regardless of dependents?

That's right, because of your high income. You don't want to get stuck having to pay taxes when you file your tax returns.

No, you don't just put "0"

Line 6 is created specifically for you to withhold additional money after claiming the proper amount of deductions.

Are you satisfied with the Answer you received?

If you are satisfied with the Answer, please accept the Answer and rate my service. Accepting the Answer and Rating my service cost you nothing extra, but does notify JustAnswer that I have completed my assigned work.

If you have any follow up questions please don't hesitate to Ask.

You can rate me by using the stars, or faces on your screen and clicking submit

I look forward to working with you in the future and I hope you feel that I provided you with 5 Star services

Regards,

Chad CFP ® professional

Federally Licensed IRS Enrolled Agent

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent