Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Has the disabled tax credit been changed? In the beginning,

Customer Question
Has the disabled tax...

Has the disabled tax credit been changed? In the beginning, type 2 diabetes was used as an example of a disabilty that would be approved.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I do not have a GP so I wentt to a Nurse Practioner. She was reluctant to sign the applictation because of the 14 hours a week requirment. My daughter is 54 years old, has had diabetus for approximately 5 to 7 years. She feels that the activities she does to take care of her lfe saving therapy does add up to 14 hours per week.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I thnk that a lot of the problem is that she was living in Woodstock N.B. when she was diagnosed. She moved to Moncton and later moved to Fredericton to look after me. We live in a seniors residence, I am 75. The doctors he had in Woodstock has since retired, she had his office send her file to the nurse practioner because it is impossible to get a GP that takes new patients. So my daughter has to go to emergency rooms, and walk in clinics with issues re her diabetes. The nurse practioner who was seeing her is out for a year on maternity. So no medical practioner to explain the situation.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
1/8/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The credit for the elderly or the disabled is available if you are 65 years of age or older, or you retired on total and permanent disability and have taxable disability income. However, your income must not exceed certain limit.

The following link contains additional information you will find helpful:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/disability/what-are-disability-tax-credits/L7HH8FNLG

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney