Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My wife passed 5-1-2017 can I claim her on my 2017 taxes. My…

Customer Question
My wife passed 5-1-2017...

My wife passed 5-1-2017 can I claim her on my 2017 taxes

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My wife passed away 5-1-2017 can I still claim her on 2017 taxes

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/8/2018
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 3 months ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. Yes. Pursuant to the IRS Tax Publication 17: (https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/pub17/p17-016.htm): "If your spouse died during the year and you file a joint return for yourself and your deceased spouse, you generally can claim your spouse's exemption. If you file a separate return for the year, you may be able to claim your spouse's exemption under rules governing separate returns..

If you remarried during the year, you can’t take an exemption for your deceased spouse."

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you!

If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney