Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If I owe taxes and i have an installment agreement and I get…

If I owe taxes...

If I owe taxes and i have an installment agreement and I get married can that affect my new husband

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

How will this affect my new hsband

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I owe taxes and he doesnt I want to know can we file seperate and he be okay

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. Getting married will not cause your husband to be liable. And, as long as you make the payments under the IA on time, the IRS won't go after his assets. But, if you file a joint return, any refund will be applied to the debt. And, to the extent you were to default under the IA, your joint/marital assets would be at risk. So, until the debt is paid, your and your husband will want to file separate returns and you should keep your assets separate so that you don't create marital assets and/or jointly held property until the debt is paid. If you do that, his assets will not be at risk for your debt.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney

Thank you for the 4-star rating. I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time. It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.