Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a 66 yr. old female. I have have several accts,

Customer Question
Hi, I am a...

Hi, I am a 66 yr. old female. I have have several accts, savings, checking, IRA and also received death benefit from my husband and would like to know if I have to claim the interest on any of these accts. Thank You

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Hi. I am a 66 yr. old female, widower. I have several accts, savings, checking, IRA and also have a death benefit from my husband and would like to know if I have to claim the interest on any of these accts. thank you.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 4 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane …

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response. Then if you have further questions we can go from there

There are two pieces, issues, that must be calculated to see if you need to file a tax return.

...

(1) What is taxable, and

(2) Whether you have enough TAXABLE income to need to file a return and report the taxable income

...

• Life insurance proceeds are not taxable (a death benefit from a life insurance policy)
  • A survivor's pension that pays monthly is taxable
  • Interest is taxable
  • Selling something for more that your basis in it, is taxable, a capital gain.
  • interest inside IRA is not taxable but taking the money out (becasue those dollars have never been taxed), called a distribution, IS taxable
  • Social Security is taxable under a formula

...

Social Security taxation formula:

No one pays tax on more than 85% of their social security.

If 1/2 of your Social Security plus your other taxable income is ...

• between $25,000 and $34,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.
  • more than $34,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.

...

The second issue, again, is the filing threshold:

...

For a single filer, the standard deduction for 2017 is $6350 and the personal exemption is $4050.

...

So your taxable income must be (6350 + 4050) = 10400 before you have enough taxable income to file a return.

...

So it's VERY possible that you don't need to file a return ...

...

If you'd like to tell me the numbers (how much you get in Social Security, how much interest you have in non-IRA accounts, whether you took any money out of the IRA in 2017, and whether the death benefit you mentioned is life insurance payout or something else ... I can give you a specific answer.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney