Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My wife has inheritance in turkey property her father left…

Customer Question
My wife has inheritance...

My wife has inheritance in turkey property her father left her.turkey says she must pay taxes on on property she inheritance before they give her property!

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My wife father died 15 years ago! Left property to my wife in turkey! Put in will she can not receive til she is 25yrs old which she just turned 25 on April 10,2017. Went to turkey to claim inheritance and was told she has to pay $22,000 taxes on property before they give it to her!

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I believe I told everything

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
1/7/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 4 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Individuals receiving Turkish property through inheritance are subject to taxes in Turkey. Inheritance tax is levied on the inheritance of each beneficiary at progressive rates. The rates vary depending on the taxable inheritance and on the relationship between the donor and recipient.

If the estate of the deceased includes immovable property in Turkey, then Turkish Law is applied.

I did not see any specific question but even a US citizen or resident alien is not immune from taxation on this inheritance in Turkey.

Hi, just checking back to see if you posted any additional information

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4