Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I worked at an office as a free hygienist for 6 months of…

Customer Question
I worked at an...

I worked at an office as a free lance hygienist for 6 months of the year and received a 1099. the other 6 months I was employed by that same office and received a w2. For the 6 months I was working free lance and recieved the 1099...can I deduct mileage?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
1/6/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Mileage going from home to the office to work? If so, those are commuting miles, and they are not deductible.

I wish I had better news for you.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

I work 10 hour days at an office that is over 100 miles one way from my home address. Does that make any difference?

Unfortunately, no.

If you were working at DIFFERENT offices, the mileage between those offices would be deductible, but going from home to one office is not deductible.

Is there any significant deductions that a 1099 allows in comparison to a w2?

Any work related expenses can be deducted on both--uniforms, supplies, etc.

Those expenses can be deducted from 1099 income as opposed to having to itemize those same expenses (and being subject to the 2% threshold) when you receive a W-2

Did you pay for health insurance? That is also a self-employed deduction.

Was it incorrect for the office to keep me as a 1099 employee for a 6 month period>

Yes, if they told you when to work, how to work, etc. It seems like they should have made you a W-2 employee immediately rather than 6 months as a 1099.

If I am audited by the IRS does that obligation of taxes fall on me or the employer then?

For the 1099 income, you're not only going to have to pay income tax, but also self employment tax (Social Security and Medicare).

The obligation of taxes always is on the taxpayer, BUT you could report the employer for keeping you as a 1099 rather than W-2.

The IRS has strict guidelines regarding 1099 vs. W-2.

What about the form ss-8. does that change anything?

workers file this Form SS-8 to request a determination of the status of a worker for purposes of federal employment taxes and income tax withholding by the IRS.

That may cause some problems at your job.