Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I got a letter from my insurance company stating that they…

Customer Question
I got a letter...

I got a letter from my insurance company stating that they turned in a 1095-B health coverage form to the irs and was notified of a discrepancy, this letter has my wifes name on it. We separated in june/july 2015 and I droped her from the insurance policy early 2017 what would be the discrepancy?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Not sure

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
1/6/2018
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 month ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

The discrepancy would likely be that there was something different reported on the tax return than what was reported on the 1095-B.

IRS gets copies of all information returns, (w-2's, 1099's, 1095's k-1's etc) and when something on a return is reported for that same social security number, that differs from the information return, the IRS kicks out a letter ... (likely not a warm body involved at this point.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all,

...

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS