Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I needed to get a loan out to pay a tax debt, I believe the…

Customer Question
I needed to get...

I needed to get a loan out to pay a tax debt, I believe the interest on this loan is deductable

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Dont believe so

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I am currently working overseas and I am not liable to pay Australian tax. Does this effect my ability to claim the interest as a deduction?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
1/5/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

What country does your question pertain to regarding deducting the interest on a loan to pay tax debt?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Australia

Thank you. Give me a few moments.

Unfortunately, a deduction is not allowable under either section 8-1 or section 25-5 of the ITAA 1997 for interest incurred by an individual taxpayer on a loan taken out in order to pay a tax debt.

I wish I had better news for you.

Thank you.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent