Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If a couple is married anytime dureing the year are the

Customer Question
If a couple is...

If a couple is married anytime dureing the year are the required to file a joint return or married and seperate? but not single.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

The couple was married is Sept but think they can file as single for the year.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

No they are living together.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
1/5/2018
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 6 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Your marital status on December 31 determines your filing status. If you are married on December 31 you can only file jointly or separately, but not single. If you are single or legally separated on December 31 you can file single or head of household but you cannot file jointly.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?