Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Second opinion] i have a 2018 tax questionJA: What state are…

Customer Question
Second opinion] i have a...
Second opinion] i have a 2018 tax questionJA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.Customer: illJA: Has anything been filed or reported?Customer: no it involves 2018JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: im 65 single and retirered . what is the most income i can have and pay no federal tax in 2018 ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/4/2018
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent

Hello, I will give you a second opinion.

If you are a single tax payer in 2018 you may earn up to $13,000 without paying any income tax. This is your standard deduction allowed to all taxpayers.

__

If you are currently receiving Social Security you may earn up to $17,040 before your benefits are reduced since you are still under the full retirement age of 66.

__

If you file as an individual and your combined income — by this, Social Security means adjusted gross income and nontaxable interest plus one-half of your Social Security benefits — is below $25,000, your benefits won't be taxed at all.

Please let me know if this is the information you were looking for.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney