Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My sister in law bought out her 3 siblings on the house that…

Customer Question
Hello, my sister in law...
Hello, my sister in law bought out her 3 siblings on the house that they all inherited from their mother. All received $30,000. Is this taxable or not since it was an inheritance? Where does it go on the tax forms? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
1/4/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 month ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Inheritance itself is NOT taxable.
But the sale transaction which took place AFTER teh property was inherited may result a taxable income and should be reported on teh tax returns.

The seller may realize the gain or loss depending on circumstances - and will report the sale on his/her individual tax return as

(sale price) MINUS (adjusted basis)

The basis for inherited property is the fair market value of that property at the time of death.

If there were any improvement expenses after that - add to the basis to calculate the adjusted basis.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor