Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I enrolled my Domestic partner in my insurance at work. I…

Customer Question
I enrolled my Domestic...

I enrolled my Domestic partner in my insurance at work. I saw the rate and it was completely doable. I got my first paycheck with those deductions and noticed that on top of the insurance premium the charged me domestic partner imputed income for I'm assuming the insurance. should my employer have informed me of the imputed income prior to me enrolling, had I known I would have probably not enrolled

Accountant's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CA

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What you mean

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
1/4/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, your employer does not have to inform you of the imputed income issue as it pertains to health insurance for a domestic partner.

If an employer pays for health insurance for domestic partners or other beneficiaries that are not legal spouses or dependents as defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), they must calculate the estimated fair market value (FMV) of those health benefits and credit that amount to the employee as “imputed income.”

Employees can opt for federal income tax withholding on their imputed income or pay the requisite dues when they file their federal income tax return.

I wish I had better news for you.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent