Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

What is the easiest way to give your daughter a house you…

Customer Question
What is the easiest...

What is the easiest way to give your daughter a house you had as a rental for 5 years?

Accountant's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We (deprecated) it on our taxes

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes would it be ok to quick claim our interest in house, or should we put it on a very small short land contract

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
1/4/2018
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 3 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Completing the quit claim deed would be the the quickest and simplest way transfer the title to your daughter.

___

In this scenario, you would be gifting her the property and she would assume your cost basis in the property. Your cost basis is generally, what you paid for the home, plus improvements and minus the depreciation you previously deducted.

The life time gift tax exclusion is now approximately $11 million dollars for each tax payer.

___

Alternatively, you could place a transfer on death to the deed and the property would automatically be transferred to your daughter. In this scenario, your daughter would not immediately be the owner, but would receive a step up in basis to the fair market value when she inherited the property.

If you sold the property to her below the current fair market value of the property the IRS may still deem this a gift because it is below fair market value and your relationship.

If you have any follow up or additional questions at all please let me know!

My goal is to ensure you receive 100% satisfaction.

_____

At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to rate and accept my answer by clicking on three stars or more.

A positive rating of 5 stars is always appreciated.

Thank you!

If you have no further questions please take a moment to accept the answer by clicking on three stars or more. This will inform JustAnswer that I have completed your question.

As always, I would be happy to answer any follow up questions

Are you satisfied with the Answer you received?

If you are satisfied with the Answer, please accept the Answer and rate my service. Accepting the Answer and Rating my service cost you nothing extra, but does notify JustAnswer that I have completed my assigned work.

If you have any follow up questions please don't hesitate to Ask.

You can rate me by using the stars, or faces on your screen and clicking submit

I look forward to working with you in the future and I hope you feel that I provided you with 5 Star services

Regards,

Chad CFP ® professional

Federally Licensed IRS Enrolled Agent

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®