Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We lost are mobile homes during Hurricane Irma. Can I claim…

Customer Question
We lost are mobile...

We lost are mobile homes during Hurricane Irma. Can I claim that loss on my income tax?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Like what?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

We do live in the disaster zone.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You would be allowed to deduct personal property losses that are not covered by insurance or other reimbursements. You will need to file form 4684 with your return.

You have the choice of either claiming this loss in 2017 filing or amend you 2016 return. If you choose to file the 2016 then make sure you put “Florida, Hurricane Irma” at the top of the form so that the IRS can expedite the processing of the refund.

Please let me know if you need more information
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4